Pittsburgh Claude D. Pepper Older Americans Independence Center

Platinum Senior-Living Research Registry Frequently Asked Questions

  • I want to conduct research in a long-term care facility. Who should I contact?

  • I'm not sure if the registry will be useful for me. Can I find out how many people may be eligible at my desired site?
    • Yes. A queried dataset may be obtained prior to IRB approval. For example, if a researcher would like to know how many people with diabetes at a particular site may be eligible, the registry staff can provide this information.

  • Is there a cost to use the registry?
    • No. However, researchers who use the registry must state that they received support from the Claude D. Pepper Older Americans Independence Center NIH Grant #s K07AG052668, P30 AG024827 and UL1TR001857 in any resulting publications, such as abstracts and manuscripts.

  • Will I need anything else, besides IRB approval, before I begin my project?
    • Yes. The Claude D. Pepper Center Long-Term Care Working Group provides oversight of the registry and needs to approve the project before use of the registry can be granted. Depending on the site, additional levels of approval may be required as described below.

  • When can I begin recruitment?
    • Recruitment can begin after the project is approved by the IRB and all required materials are submitted and approved by the registry staff. These materials include a project summary, contact information for the PI, Co-I and coordinators, IRB # when approved, and copies of any fliers and advertising materials (these materials must be IRB-approved).

  • I want to conduct research at a long-term care facility. Do I need approval from the site?
    • Yes. After the Claude D. Pepper Center Long-Term Care Working Group approves of the project, you must obtain a letter of support from the facility. The point of contact for the facility can be obtained from the coordinator Madeline Rigatti. These letters must be provided to registry staff to keep on file and will also be required by the IRB as a part of your submission.

  • Can I conduct research with cognitively impaired participants? If so, how?
    • Yes. Participant assent and Power of Attorney (POA) written consent needs to be obtained for any cognitively impaired individuals.

  • Can I conduct research at a skilled nursing facility/nursing home?
    • Yes. In addition to the letter of support from the facility, a letter of approval from the Pennsylvania Department of Health must also be obtained. These letters must be provided to registry staff to keep on file and will also be required by the IRB as part of your submission.

  • Can I choose any site I wish for my research project?
    • Any research conducted at a UPMC Senior Community must be approved by the UPMC QAPI Committee. The point of contact for this committee will be provided by Madeline Rigatti. The committee reserves the right to decline usage of any facility for research purposes.

  • Can I use multiple sites for my project?
    • Yes. You must obtain the appropriate letters of support and follow each individual sites protocol.

  • Does the registry include only UPMC facilities?
    • No. Many sites in the registry are not UPMC affiliates. Some of these sites have their own boards that will need to approve of the project.

  • What if the site that I wish to use is not a participating site of the registry?
    • The registry staff will work to add the site to the registry and recruit participants for the registry at that site.

  • I am not a University of Pittsburgh researcher. Can I still use the registry?
    • Maybe. Non-Pitt researchers with a Pepper Investigator as their Co-Investigator may use the registry.

  • Will I need to indicate use of the registry in my IRB submission or resulting publications?
    • Yes. Indicate you are using the Platinum Senior-Living Research Registry (PRO1701064) in section 4.1-4.2 for recruitment methods. Usage of the registry must also be noted in all manuscripts and abstracts.

  • Can I use the registry if I want to conduct my study on-site at the University of Pittsburgh?
    • Yes. However, researchers should be aware of barriers to transportation when conducting research with older adults.

(Return to Top)

This website was created by the Center for Research on Health Care (CRHC) Data Center. Contact the webmaster if you are experiencing any problems with this site.